Wednesday, December 4, 2013

I'm From Poem

I am from dollar store groceries  
from a ratty old vacuum and an always full trash can
I am from the five story brick apartment buildings that line both sides of the street
From my Mothers Bonzai tree
I am from the Maple tree over the Basketball court
whose long gone limbs I remember
as if they were my own.
Im from Basketball and Brown eyes
from Jerry and my mother
I’m from nervous sweating
I’m from Respect your adults and mind your own
and the music on the streets of Harlem
I’m from celebrating the holidays in the Harlem school of arts
I’m from the Harlem Hospital and a chocolate skin tone
From chicken fried steak
From the picture of our Lord Jesus Christ

Set up over our kitchen table high enough so we can all see it

2 comments:

  1. Good poem. I like how you added the basketball information in the poem and also the picture of Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. cool story bro thats a nice one too bad your in my group ha!

    ReplyDelete